Sunday, January 18, 2009

a few good songs

I was asked recently what my "favorite song to play on the organ" was. I've never been asked that before, and so I had to think about it! I don't really have a favorite "organ piece," so I will clarify that to mean "hymn." Like, what hymns do I go, "oh goody! I love this one!" before playing? Or which have I belted out either in the empty church or with a cd in my car?

In NO particular order, here's my list of top 11, with some clarifications. (Christmas Carols are at the bottom. They are kind of in a class of their own.)

Let All Mortal Flesh
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Glory Be to Jesus (Italian--Viva Viva Jesu)
Ah, Holy Jesus
God, We Praise You (or any other good text to the tune Nettleton)
Hail, Holy Queen Enthroned Above
How Great Thou Art (not as the schmaltzy hymn, but either a capella or rocked up.)
Once in Royal David's City
The First Noel
Away in a Manger (the less common version)
O Come, All Ye Faithful

2 comments:

totustuusmaria said...

What a great list!
Let All Mortal Flesh is my favoretest song ever! I also really love Glory be to Jesus. It must be so fun to play those by your art! I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

any input on this question/concern on music in the Mass??

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=4707065#post4707065?rd=