Monday, December 03, 2007

2 Advent A

Open: On Jordan's Bank (Winchester New)
Gifts: Saviour of the Nations (Nun Komm)
Communion: Ierusalem Surge
I Want to Walk as a Child*
Close: Come O Long Expected Jesus (Stuttgart)


*(I normally hate picking Communion songs, just cuz there aren't very many, but I really hate picking them outside of Ordinary Time, b/c then I feel like I have to somehow incorporate the season with the Eucharist, and of course there aren't ANY songs that do that, so I end up picking a song that does neither! good grief!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I have to somehow incorporate the season with the Eucharist

Actually, that's rather easy with Easter :P

Brian Michael Page said...

Actually, the hymn during Communion doesn't always have to focus on the act of receiving the Sacrament. I would have absolutely no problem with programming an ordinary seasonal hymn like "O Come O Come Emmanuel" simply because people will sing at least the refrain while receiving without even having to pick up a book. (I like a good responsorial Magnificat too when the choir is off).

The Communion proper itself (both the Roman Missal AND Graduale Romanum options) don't always focus on "bread and wine" or receiving or the like.