Monday, November 19, 2007

People Look East

I am programing music for Advent right now, and I was trying to remember if I remembered correctly that some people were down on "People Look East," (as not having very much religious significance.)
I re-read the lyrics, and noted something that is having more particular significance for me lately.
(background: I've been reading/thinking/praying a lot lately about the significance of "God is Love." I mean, really, God IS Love. The source of Love, Love Itself...you get it.)
So anyhow, with that in mind, the last line of "People Look East," being all the tropes, "Love the Guest/Lord/whatever is on the way," actually has significance! (ok, I'll stop using that word for now.) because we can substitute God/Christ for it!
Ok, maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but it seems to me a perfect Advent Carol!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

East = Second Coming.

make your hearts fair = put your house in order (from the Gospel...can’t remember where)

I think people who poo-poo the use of this hymn in the liturgy are maybe a bit neglectful of the tradition of seeing God in nature and reflecting that in hymn texts - e.g. “Ave maris stella”, the pelican in “Adoro te devote”, etc.