Friday, February 02, 2007

New translation.

My aunt, who is also a liturigcal type church musician like myself, but at a much larger parish, attended the NPM conference thingy recently where they basically just bashed the new Mass translation. She told my mom about it, who of course told me after I prodded her. They criticized the loftiness of the modified words, and basically just told people to write to people to put pressure on...stopping the change? slowing the change? modifying the translation? (I'm not quite sure what the point of that will be.)
My aunt was very depressed after the first day after they talked about what the (depressing?) result of the new translation would be, but it sounds like my mom tried to encourage her to look at it from a perspective of whether the Holy Spirit was speaking through these people who were making her feel depressed, and why did they claim this conference would be objective if they actually didn't present ANY of the positive reasons for the new translation?
perhaps someone has an "agenda...?"

I'm very inclined to feel depressed about all of this myself, of course from the other side, however. Just sad to know that there are people out there-in positions of great authority who should have more wisdom!-who are so against this.
But then I have to be reminded.
The Roman Catholic Church will survive, regardless of the outcome. She has weathered far worse conflicts. In the end, all earthly things will pass, but Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments: